History

1892
Arthur L.F.Carr Ltd.: Company founded by Arthur L.F. Carr in Bloomsbury, Birmingham.
1900
Company moved to Saltley Birmingham.
1910
Moved to Artillery Street, Birmingham (0.5 Hectare, 45,000 sq ft floorspace).
1920’s
Period of major expansion and became a major supplier to Morris Motors in Oxford – Products supplied during this period were based upon Oleoresinous finishes which were applied by brush and air dried – it took 10-14 days to paint a motor car!
1925
Opened factory in Paris, France.
1930’s
Introduction of nitro-cellulose finishes which revolutionized the curing time & appearance of paint finishes.
1950’s
Large supplier to UK automotive paint users including Morris, Austin, Jenson, Triumph, Hillman, Triumph motorcycles etc.
1953
Company name changed to Carrs Paints Ltd.
1960’s
Became major supplier to motorcycle industry inc. BSA, Norton, Arial as well as the UK automotive wheel industry for both cars and trucks.
1962
Developed new alkyd resin technology for the manufacture of primers and colour coats for Rover, Jaguar and Triumph ~ main line colours at Jaguar, Browns lane, Triumph, Coventry & Liverpool and Austin Morris, Longbridge and Oxford. 
1964

Purchased factory at West Heath, Birmingham, to expand production capacity for automotive market, and to provide new head office. (2.5 Hectare, 75,000 sq ft floorspace).

Turnover 1969: £1.0m

1970’s
Period of steady growth particularly in the UK motor industry with supply of primers and colour to Triumph, Jaguar and Austin / Morris.
1978
Signed a license agreement with Beckers of Sweden for the manufacture of coatings for automotive interior plastics.
1979
Signed a license agreement with Berger Paints of UK for the manufacture of Thermoplastic coatings (TPA) for automotive car bodies.
1980’s

Rapid growth in the UK automotive industry, particularly Rover and Jaguar, where the company became the main coatings supplier and won many quality awards, and also at Peugeot.

Turnover 1983: £6.7m 1990: £25.0m Employees: 200

1982
Signed a license agreement with DuPont Automotive Paints of USA for the manufacture of Clear-over-Base coatings (COB) for automotive car bodies.
1982
Installed a powder production plant at West Heath.
1982
Purchased Glixtone, a decorative coatings company selling products to the Middle East.
1983
Turnover reaches £6.7million.
1988
Awarded Jaguar Cars “Supplier of the Year – 1988”.
1990’s

Consolidation of the company’s position as “preferred supplier” to Rover, Jaguar and Peugeot. A toll manufacturing agreement was also signed with DuPont for supply of products to Ford and Vauxhall in the UK – the company’s share of the UK automotive market had by now reached approx. 65%. Carrs also entered to plastic coatings market and rapid growth saw the company achieve 70% of the market by 1997.

Turnover 1997: £55.0m Employees: 350

1992
Developed water-borne COB technology for automotive plastics.
1994
First paint company to manage an automotive paint application plant ~ Jaguar, Castle Bromwich, Birmingham.
1995
First paint company to be approved for the supply of water borne technology to UK automotive plant ~ Rover Longbridge, Birmingham.
1995
Closed Artillery Street factory, and opened new state of the art automotive manufacturing facility at Minworth, Birmingham (2.0 Hectare, 100,000 sq ft floorspace).
1997

The company was aware that it’s long term future position as a major automotive supplier in the UK was limited due to the Globalisation of the market. It was felt that action was needed to safeguard it’s position and an agreement was signed with DuPont who purchased all of the company’s automotive / plastic and refinish business.

Turnover 1997: £6.0m Employees: 70

1998
An agreement was signed with a major multinational company for the toll manufacture of it’s industrial product range ~ new division formed for the provision of sub contract manufacturing services.
2002
Glixtone Division sold to E.Parsons and Sons (Blackfriar Paints).
2003
Powder Division sold to Sonneborn & Rieck.
2004
Entered Joint Venture partnership for the manufacture of powder coatings with Advanced Powder Coatings.
2004
Opened new automotive manufacturing plant at Droitwich.
2006
Moved to new purpose built factory at Redditch.
2008
Carrs Paints sold to Stretford Group and renamed Carrs Coatings Limited.